Monday, April 27, 2009

Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club

Through Junior League, I have spent the last seven months volunteering at the Salvation Army Boys and Girls Club here in Greenville. I am in charge of planning "Girls Night" once a month for the elementary school girls who participate in the after school childcare program. This past Thursday was my last "Girls Night." Although it's been challenging coming up with a new idea each month, I am going to miss seeing the girls. They have been so sweet to me (for the most part) and were always excited to humor my ideas. We've made valentines and friendship bracelets and chocolate candies......we did an exercise demonstration and a cooking demonstration......and this week, in honor of Earth Day, we made planters out of eggshells. I spent the day hollowing out 30 eggs and chopping off the tops. The girls made stands for their eggs and painted faces on them. Each egg was then filled with soil and sprinkled with grass seeds. The hope is that the seeds will sprout and their eggs will soon have "hair." The girls were very creative when naming their eggs: Shelly, Hairy, Spike, Eggward, etc. And some were pretty random: twin eggs named Alyssa and Melissa and another one named Jonathon. I think the little girl who made Jonathon named him after her crush! Too cute! And an Emery egg was made for me. I have kept Emery on the windowsill in the kitchen and watered her every other day, but no grass yet. I hope my girls are having better luck!
Random picture of Atticus. He looked so funny and I had the camera in my hands as I had just walked in the door from the Salvation Army. I took advantage of the situation and snapped him in his "black bear" position.
Me and Emery(in my belly) and Emery (the egg). No comments, please, on my hugeness. I am aware that I look as though I could go into labor at any second or that I am giving Octo-Mom a run for her money.

One of my girls showing off her planters.

1 comment:

Megan said...

Your Belly Looks SO CUTE!!!!
Congrats to Alison on her little man!!!