Friday, October 16, 2009

Poor Little Maddux

Following our trip to Palm Springs, Ben, Emmy and I returned to the house around 6 and Mom and Nanny were already there with Maddux. I was so excited to see the little guy!!!! In fact, I was so eager to see him that my mom had driven all the way up from Atlanta so that I could immediately cuddle the Muppet. After dinner I took Maddux, along with Mom and Spark-e, on his evening walk. We did one of our usual routes out the back gate of the neighborhood. Along the way we encountered a large Boxer also out for his evening walk. For some reason, the dog went berserk when he saw us and jerked so hard that he snapped his collar and bolted right for Maddux. I didn't even have time to scoop Maddux up before he was in the jaws of the Boxer, being shaken like a stuffed animal. I was freaking out.....as was Mom and lady who had been walking the dog. Finally, he released Maddux and his owner got him under control. We rushed Maddux to the emergency vet and he had to undergo some surgery. Thankfully, he should make a full recovery. But I am traumatized!!!! Maddux had to have a huge incision to remove severely damaged tissue cut across his back. He has staples and drains all over the wound and is on major antibiotics and pain meds, but it could have been a lot worse. I thought for sure his neck was going to be broken when I saw the big dog shaking him. But, all his x-rays and tests indicate that he has no internal bleeding, concussion, etc. What a tough little guy! He's not moving too well at the moment and probably won't be for quite some time. The ER vets and staff were incredible. Thank God for them! I was too upset (as was Mom) to leave Maddux so they let us take him home just a few hours after surgery rather than making him stay longer for observation. A sleepless night, but I am so thankful that Maddux survived the attack. Please be careful when out and about with your babies and dogs.....you just never know how dogs will react to other dogs or kids, regardless of breed.

**UPDATE** Maddux's drains have been removed and he is acting as if nothing happened! He still has all the staples (those come out late next week), but he is going up and down the stairs, playing with Atticus and eating well again. Whew!

2 comments:

Megan said...

I am SO sad and sorry to hear what happened to little Maddux!!!! I hope he is doing ok and healing well. I know you are taking good care of him. Keep us updated!

Kathy said...

Ashley, Donna told me about what happened to Maddux. I am so happy to hear that he is healing. A small white dog who was not on leash came charging after our first dog Balto. I tried getting the dog away, but she wouldn't listen, and trying to control Balto. I don't know what that dog was thinking...brave soul. Balto picked her up and was shaking her like a doll. Our incident was just the opposite of what happened to you. Small dog going after a big dog, but I know the feeling. It is very scary when something like that happens. The dog also had to go to the vet and she was fine. Thank goodness. Take care.